Reality Check: How Big Is Project COSA?

General discussion about COSA and its consequences.

Reality Check: How Big Is Project COSA?

Postby sixwings » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:30 pm

A lot of people have berated me in the past for not providing a working COSA environment. They tell me that, unless I have something to show, nobody with money is going to believe my claims. I happen to agree to a certain extent. The reason that there is no working COSA system is simple. COSA is a much bigger and a much more complex project than most people might suppose. If I had a few million dollars to spare, I would not hesitate to spend it all on Project COSA, but unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money. I could have written a COSA virtual machine (CVM) but a CVM is not nearly enough to convince anybody that the industry should switch to the COSA model. COSA is about reinventing the computer and the way we program them. It's about changing the way people have been doing things for over half a century. Note that several well-intentioned people have started working on their own COSA projects only to throw in the towel for one reason or another.

The way I see it, COSA will only rise like the proverbial phoenix from the ashes of the old order. The current computing paradigm is like the Titanic: it cannot turn on a dime. It's going to hit that iceberg no matter what. My view is that the computer industry is heading straight toward disaster and there is nothing they can do about it. I believe that COSA's time in the limelight will not come until after several giant processor companies have begun to fall. Only then will the powers that be start throwing some real money at COSA. It's going to take millions of dollars to properly implement COSA, folks.

I realize that the members of this board are well-intentioned and I appreciate their enthusiasm but I can't help being pessimistic in the short term. Sure, we can continue to discuss new ideas and offer new ways to deal with old problems but unless a full-time team can be organized to work on this project for about two years, I'm afraid that not much progress will be made. Sorry to be so pessimistic. Hopefully, some of you can cheer me up with a different way of looking at the problem that has escaped me so far, but keep in mind that nothing about getting COSA off the ground is as easy as it looks.
Louis Savain
sixwings
Site Admin

Re: Reality Check: How Big Is Project COSA?

Postby interest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Some mountains are build from the dead bodies of sea animals, over hundreds of millions of years. One sendimental layer at a time. Our brains are rewiring, even if nothing comes of this at least a different way of doing software has taken root in a few people. From there it spreads. These ideas popping about make even you think deeper about the shortcomings of COSA and how to improve them. Why not? Cosa is not proven, and could very well have flaws in it. That is okay, but at least we having fun in pushing the envelope in multicore software design.

I for one, am having such fun with this. Though reading your post alerted me to some kind of thinking pattern that might be in your head. To be a little cheeky but well intending - knocking something down before it even has gotten started is nonsense. these things can snowball when the timing is right, the post above stops that snowball immediately. There are a loads of hackers out there who are aware of this problem, and would love nothing more than to have a good hack at something that could help this multi-core issue. having something as minor as a CVM is a start, a hacking start. Don't think you will get industry to support this concept with full time employees. Getting them to switch from SVN to mercurial is painful enough. Your only bet is open source hackers - who also have full time jobs and need to feed their families.

Drop the big dream of Cosa - bring it back to its hacking foundations. Lets have fun.
interest

Re: Reality Check: How Big Is Project COSA?

Postby nmatrix9 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:48 pm

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
nmatrix9

Return to Project COSA